Friday 1 August 2014

Prince of Thorns is 3 years in print!



My 'baby' is 3 years old. Well, actually it's a lot older than that, but it's been on the shelves in English for 3 years today!

I've made annual state of the nation posts. This for 2012 and this for 2013.

This is how things stand in 2014 (click for detail)


Things appear to be going well. Prince of Thorns has doubled its Amazon.com reviews in a year and the trilogy has gone from 15,000 ratings on Goodreads to 50,000. Prince of Fools has been on the shelves for 8 weeks and is already making its mark. Blog traffic hit a peak of over 32,000 hits in a month and remains steady, averaging 20,000+.

It's not something I ever imagined for my writing but I can't deny it's very pleasing. As my youngest daughter gets older and her health continues to deteriorate she demands more of my time, so the possibility that my writing could support us and I might no longer need to keep my day job is very welcome - even though I would miss the variety (I'm a research scientist by day and it's often an interesting job).

In any event, these are the numbers. Occasionally I like to think I have some measure of control over them or responsibility for them - but the truth is I'm riding a wave here and have little to do with how big it is or where it's heading, my task is just to keep on it as long as I can.

Let's see where we are next year!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm a bit of a newbie in Broken Empire world but hugely enjoying it so far. I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter, and I know it's just small words from a stranger, but I hope her health does improve. :) Hopefully I can get to Prince of Fools soon, though not before Grim Gathering, unfortunately. With all this reading it doesn't look like I'll ever get down to writing... *sigh*
    from, Ashana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot Woot!! Yay you!
    Congratulations Mark!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 years has flown by. Congratulations! I knew it would be a success the first time I read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a stock photo of the cupcake or did you actually put three candles in one a take the shot? Either way mark, I can't get enough of your words and world. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finishing up Emperor of Thorns. Incredible work. Nothing more wondering than finding a book you love. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look out for Prince of Fools when you've caught your breath!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! I'm new to your works - finished Prince of Thorns last week, and in the middle of King of Thorns now. They're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete