Wednesday 15 April 2015

A trilogy of trilogies!

HarperVoyager signs new three-book deal with bestselling fantasy author Mark Lawrence
 
LONDON BOOK FAIR 15/4/2015
 
HarperVoyager is thrilled to announce the acquisition of a groundbreaking new epic fantasy trilogy from acclaimed rising star of the genre Mark Lawrence. UK and Commonwealth rights (exc. Canada) for the RED SISTER trilogy were acquired by Publishing Director Jane Johnson for a substantial six-figure sum from Ian Drury at Sheil Land.
 
In a bold move, RED SISTER features Mark’s first ever female protagonist, Nona; a girl with a mysterious past and a dangerous future. There are rich evocations of The Wizard of Earthsea and The Name of the Wind, alongside Mark’s trademark grit and violence: Nona is being trained to kill, and dark political forces will seek to use her wild natural magic to their own advantage.
 
Mark Lawrence sprang onto the fantasy scene in 2011 with PRINCE OF THORNS, which was the best-selling fantasy debut of the year and has since been reprinted 12 times. Having just delivered the third and final book in his second trilogy, The Red Queen’s War, HarperVoyager is delighted to be taking the publishing partnership to 2018.
 
Robin Hobb chose to promote PRINCE OF FOOLS with an excerpt in the back of the World Book Night giveaway edition of her ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE, she loves his work so much; and the final volume in his Broken Empire series, EMPEROR OF THORNS, hit the hardback bestseller list. His work reprints more frequently than any other writer on the Voyager list, with the exception of George R. R. Martin.
 
Jane Johnson says: “Mark Lawrence is one of the best reasons I continue to be a publisher: he is without doubt the finest new writer to enter the fantasy field in the past decade and I am hugely proud to publish him. He has an extraordinary talent, combining wonderfully lyrical writing with a very dark sensibility and a scientist's precision, and he has turned the genre on its head.”

Mark Lawrence say: "I'm excited to have been given the opportunity to continue working with HarperVoyager. Readers often underestimate the degree of support provided by a great publisher and the importance of having an editor who really 'gets' the work at every level. I'm lucky to have both."

****

So that's a good thing! I actually got the news on the same day I was made redundant from my day job, which took some of the sting out of it!

I'm currently 70,000 words into book 1, Red Sister, so still a ways to go yet. The books are set in a new world. I might return to the Broken Empire one day, but I felt it time for new horizons. This will also be my first published work not in the 1st person, though I'm sticking to one point of view.

On my unofficial site ThatThornGuy.com there's even a temporary/fake cover for book 1. The work of Tomasz Jedruszek. It was one of his designs, posted on Facebook as a possible cover for Princess of Thorns by my editor Jane Johnson, when I was joking about the title, that inspired me to write about Nona.





19 comments:

  1. Awesome news. Congrats again, sir! Really looking forward to his - I trust you'll knock our socks off again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations again, Mark :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I'm both glad for your bank account and my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, sir! Looking forward to it, and love the second "fake" cover. Are you planning on doing a Goldsboro edition of Liar's Key? I need it to go with my Prince of Fools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i) many thanks

      ii) I don't sign for Goldsboro and won't do again. Quill and Claw sell my special editions in the UK.

      Delete
  5. It couldn't have happened to a greater guy :)
    Congratulations for this, and I'm so glad you can continue to make art with words!

    Beatriz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Mark! This is wonderful news. I look forward to reading all these books.
    Have a great day.

    Shawn Wickersheim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You are a truly talented writer and I wish you much success! - Jennifer, Seattle WA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felicitate you on this happy news. Red Sister and Red Queen? I guess this will make your fans well-red. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like there's more great reads in my future! Congrats and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woooo!!!! Looking forward to it. Red is my favorite color of sister!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Mark. Your character's name sounds a lot like the word for "grandma" in Italian, "nonna." It made me giggle a bit since she is supposed to be a tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That's wonderful! Sounds like leaving the day job was a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. I'll need to rearrange my books to make more space on the L-shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would LOVE to see a female version of Jorg in a lead character! Maybe even Chella's story before (or after) the Dead King....This is going to be awesome! Congratulations, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have enjoyed all the books of the broken world and have read Red Sister in record time, having a hard time putting it down to do other things.
    I trust there will be more to this series as implied by the final words of Nona to Clera
    Utterly brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta da!

      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grey-Sister-Mark-Lawrence/dp/0008152349/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

      Delete