Tuesday 4 November 2014

You think that's magic you're using?


"I influence the course of events by using mysterious and supernatural powers!"



"Well, uh, they're only mysterious until you explain them. And if they're not explainable by natural laws then we need to update the natural laws to take into account these observable and measurable phenomena."



"Do not mock powers you cannot explain!"



"I might mock powers that can't be demonstrated but if you show me these sorceries I'll start measuring them and trying to frame a theory that describes them. You can show me ... can't you?"



"Of course I can! Stand back, mortal!"



"Wait! Is that a book of rules?"


"What of it!"




"Well we have those..."



"But these are MAGIC powers! Very few special individuals can fathom them."



"Behold! I am one of six persons on this planet of seven billion who fully appreciate the finer points of variational quantum chromo dynamics. BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!"




"Look, you're just being silly, this is MAGIC, not science. Observe my hat. Touch my staff ... if you must. Magic!"



"There are any number of things that science has yet to explain - we don't just label those 'magic' and give up. What you're doing is measurable - nice fireball! - has rules, and can be learned by people with sufficient inborn talent. It exists, it's part of the world. The people who pursue its study should be called scientists."


"NooooooooooOOOOOooooooo!





6 comments:

  1. Ah, Professor Frink . . . I'd love to see Jal stumble across him at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mathemagicians" remains one of my absolutely favourite words.
    That said, I do like my 'magic' a bit like my quantum mechanics - dark, mysterious, and likely only to be studied from fifty feet away behind a lead shield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touch my staff.

    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

    ReplyDelete