Wednesday 14 June 2023

Art!

I've been a long time admirer of artist Tom Brown's work (not to be confused with artist Tom Roberts, whose work I have also admired for many years - Tom Roberts did the cover art for The Book That Wouldn't Burn). 


I knew that Tom Brown also did great architectural drawings. Way back in 2011 when I ran a competition around the idea of a Prince of Thorns graphic novel, Tom won with an entry that began with this panel:


And he's been drawing the Hopeless, Maine graphic novels ever since. 

So, one thing led to another and I asked Tom (Brown) to draw me some art for THE BOOK THAT WOULDN'T BURN. Initially just for me to show off and remind people that the book's out and that they could buy a copy.

I am working on a Library Trilogy short story though, and if it proves to be a success then I will publish it and perhaps Tom's piece can adorn the cover.

I know that many of us non-artists like to see the process of an image being created, from first thoughts to polished completion. Fortunately Tom was happy for me to show his working. So here is a sequence of stages - to which I will add the final coloured version later this week - enjoy!

Stage 1 - the cat helps with the composition. Can you see what it is yet?



Stage 2 - Time for the good paper. Watch the birdy.



Stage 3 - bird needs friends!



Stage 4 - more background please!



Stage 6 - let's just add a little detail...


And here it is in glorious technicolour - what an image! Well done Mr Brown.


Tom's selling these as prints - you should buy one!











sdasd

1 comment: