Tuesday 12 April 2016

A million.

As of December 31st 2015 more than 1 million of my books had been sold around the world!

Here's how they stack up:

Using the figures I have to hand (many of my foreign publishers have yet to send me any sales numbers) I can make the million with my two English language publishers (Ace and Voyager), and my three largest non-English markets, namely Brazil (Darkside), France (Bragelonne), and Germany (Heyne). I also had figures from Fumax in Hungary, a pleasing 11,000, and Papierowy Ksiezyc, a welcome 13,000.


My happy dance wasn't as cool as Calvin's.


I offer this up in the spirit of excitement and wanting to share my amazement. Only the fact that I swore not to use this very clichéd word in this context prevents me from using it here.

I guess that one reason for the reluctance of many authors to discuss such things may be fear of being seen to be chest-beating or failing.


But I've always taken the view that I'll share the highs and lows with any of my readers who bother to follow me online - so there it is.

It's also quite a pleasing way to celebrate the 1st anniversary of my being made redundant from my day job!









16 comments:

  1. Rad! As I'm told the kids say. Nice one, Mark. I'm well pleased for you. Well deserved too of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Mark, much deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahey Mark, well done!!! It's refreshing to know there are a million intelligent people in the world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful:) Glad to see Hungary on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! One year already? Time flies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well deserved, I love your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, well deserved! And I think you would have been fine with that cliched word, as you avoided the much worse cliched phrases of "it's been a long journey getting here," or, "it's all thanks to my fans."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy dance being danced for you in California, USA. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So proud to be the #1 non-english market! VAI BRASIL! Congrats Mark! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go! :)

    Pleasant to see Hungary as considerable enough to be noted individually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess the best way to be made redundant from one’s job is by having made >£1M (or something in that region?) writing books. It’s a very impressive figure; but I’m surprised it’s not even bigger. ‘Bestseller’ is clearly a broad term, encompassing those who have sold hundreds of thousands and those who have sold hundreds of millions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can become a New York Times bestseller (something I haven't managed yet) by selling between 5,000 and 10,000 books in the right week.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I heard about that. I guess the term bestseller was never clearly defined, but it’s a pity that it’s now used as a sales tool: get a promotion going, get some books sold very quickly, and voila—you’re on a bestseller list. Bestseller list = more exposure = more sales. Rinse and repeat. It’s worth taking the bestseller jargon with a healthy dose of salt, I guess.

      Delete
  12. Congrats! Glad to know there are, at least, a million readers in the world with great taste. :)

    ReplyDelete